The Shadow Experience
Shadowing is skiing/riding with a National Patroller during their typical day on the hill. To strengthen your training opportunity, you will ski/ride with a designated National Patroller and be shadowing this patroller in order to learn the hill landscape and daily duty requirements.
Jeff Landucci is the TEAM lead and coordinates all shadow requests. He is the only contact regarding shadow requests. Contact him to AT LEAST TWO DAYS prior to a requested shadow day.
HOW TO REQUEST A SHADOW DAY
- Choose the day you want to shadow *allow at least two days notice.
- Email Jeff at email@example.com and Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org to make your request.
- Once approved, sign-up here: www.nsnsp.org
*REMINDER: You are not confirmed for your shadow day until you have received a confirmation from Jeff. Please be patient and do not endlessly punch him up.
- You must stay with your assigned Patroller during the entire day.
- Shadowing can only start after Orientation.
- Candidates/Transfers may provide patient care under the direct supervision of their assigned Patroller.
- Candidates may only bring an empty sled once they are checked off by an assigned Toboggan Instructor.
- There is no shadowing on Training Days.
- Make the most of the days experience.
- Communicate to the Patroller what you have done or would like to accomplish.
- Utilize the morning time for zone work.
- Learn the names of the runs and the requirements of morning zone work for that run.
- Practice a 1050 report.
- Take radio calls and get experience, accept feedback in a positive manner.
- Participate in the morning zone work.
- Ask Questions! Be engaged! Have a great attitude!
Candidate Shadow Feedback
The links below provide candidate/transfers and mentor Patrollers the opportunity to reflect on their shadow day. All feedback will be reviewed by Jeff Landucci and discussed at the next training meeting for all candidates to benefit from the experience.
ATTENTION CANDIDATES: Use this link to provide feedback about your shadow experience. In addition to providing feedback for candidates, this is a helpful tool to guide your own learning, goals and progress.
ATTENTION PATROLLERS: Use this link to provide your shadow day trainee with feedback.
You will be required to complete the above evaluation form for your shadow day prior to any additional shadow day request. *Candidates and Transfers must do a minimum of 6 shadow days.