- Respect and accept individual personality traits and differences.
- Take responsibility! Learn and develop as a patroller.
- Be understanding and put the feelings of others first.
- Have a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Treat every patient scenario as if it were a family member.
- Remember, communication is key.
- Be enthusiastic, offer assistance and support.
- If a problem develops, work it out by discussing it. Always be respectful, use tact and acknowledge the other person’s way of looking at the issue. If an impasse results connect with the instructor of the day. If not satisfactorily resolved, contact Dave Rozzi for support.
The ongoing training at Northstar finishes in an evaluation to become a patroller. This evaluation is for the Candidate/Transfer to show proficiency on the hill as well as readiness to be a Northstar Patroller.
- Attend the training sessions; any exceptions must be approved by Dave Rozzi
- Be registered in “Introduction to Patrolling” and current with NSP dues.
- Be registered with Northstar Patrol and current with annual dues.
- Maintain a current OEC certification and American Heart Association Healthcare Provider, BLS CPR/AED card.
- Completion of all activities in your training book.
- Proficiency in OEC Skills.
- Proficiency in skiing/riding and toboggan handling.
- Knowledge of Northstar runs.
- Completion of 6 shadow days.
- Loading and transport of a patient.
- Proper radio protocol.
- Knowledge of incident forms and completion.
- Provide proper patient care in a timely manner.
Gear and Supplies
Each Patroller is required to wear:
- black pants
- helmet with no advertising logos
- patrol vest
- base layer beneath vest (red or black only)
- storm shell, as needed
Keep your zippers zipped.
Your ski patrol vest will need to be set up prior to the first on-hill training day. You will need various items, replenishing them as you use them.
*Provided by NS, as inventory allows
- Gloves* at least 6 pair
- N95 mask*, Goggles or Glasses
- Ink Pens, black for reports
- Sharpie Pens
- Flashlight (small)
- Optional Multi-tool/Utility Knife/Leatherman
- Safety Scissors
- Electrical Tape*
- First Aid/Surgical Tape (1”)* We do not supply 2 inch
- Zip lock bags – (4)*
- Pocket Mask
- Oral Airways – OPA’s – infant/adult/extra large (optional)
- Insta Glucose*
- Cravats with safety pins (4)*
- Sam Splint*
- Gauze roller bandages (4)*
- Sterile 4 X 4s*
- Multiple size Band-Aids*
- Incident Reports (1050)* additional reports