This COVID season has presented us with many challenges as a Patroller , Instructor and as a person.
We appreciate all of the adjustments and respect all of the decisions that you have made personally this year and continued good health.
As we go forward for the remainder of the season and look forward to next season, I think it is appropriate to remind ourselves of our WINS for this season so far and what we have learned about our Team in positioning our vision for next season.
WINS this season:
1) Through 2/22/2021 we have 20 Patrollers on the mountain that have supported the Northstar Team with 172 days of patrolling.
2) This year the entire Team came together to become educated regarding the COVID challenge and embraced the additional training and protocols in order to keep ourselves and patients safe.
3) We stayed flexible and adapted to many changing situations and continue to do so.
4) Hannah Lian has taken the role of NSP liaison and has done a great job in communicating weekly Patrol News..
5) Kevin Sloane, is certainly Rookie of the Year and doing a fantastic job with over 20 days of patrolling and will be coordinating and responsible for supplies in the Eastern Sierra Region (ESR) equipment shed housed at Northstar.
6) We were able to complete a 2 week intensive OEC class with 10 students and 6 instructors all in one bubble, passing all 10 with 9 students coming on to the Pro Patrol.
The support over the 2 weeks period from the team of Lauren, Bruce, Garrett, Colby and Hannah made it happen. Jeff Landucci and Mike Fanelli stepped up for the OEC final as evaluators.
7) We welcomed and congratulated Kurt and Kolina, both in new roles in our Patrol.
8) The NSNSP web site continues to be updated with new Protocols and COVID information.
9) Doubek has been most accommodating and tried to make a memorable experience with the N95 fit test and Brewster (Lia) continues to keep us updated on SMR protocols..
10) We have a couple of Team members that are committed to improving and reinforcing the value that we bring as a Patroller to Northstar and I want to recognize Dan Abbott and Bruce Downs.
I will also share the message below on their approach and achievements to training for this season and the coordinated effort that we have discussed for initial candidate and ongoing Patroller training for next season.
TRAINING UPDATE 2020-2021
Dan and Bruce have developed and implemented a training package this year to elevate all of us as Patrollers and make it easy to engage. They have been very creative in their written communication and practical methods as illustrated by their message below:
Starting this year we’re going to require everyone to complete a Mountain Operations Refresher. This year the refresher is comprised of three 10-question quizzes.
These quizzes are designed as teaching tools to review the mountain operations at Northstar. They are not evaluations. The hope is that by taking these quizzes and reviewing the answers you missed, you’ll be more prepared for Patrolling.
Most of the content comes from the COVID training, Radio Protocols page on the NSNSP website, the Trail Closure cheat sheet, and the “Patrol News” emails that have gone out this year.
Feel free to review those materials before taking these quizzes or just jump right in and we recommend that you take the quiz prior to your 1st day of Patrolling..
They have also taken on the role of toboggan instruction with the emphasis on Patroller improvement in all conditions and different aspects of the mountain.
Understanding that we all have a different skill set due experience, time on the mountain and age, their approach will be nurturing within each person’s comfort zone.
This program is ongoing and has been well received by the Patrollers that have participated in it. It has been a training challenge this season due to a lower than normal Patroller count on the hill but we request that if you are patrolling this season,please take action on the following:
1) Take the quizzes prior to your 1st day of patrolling.
2) Connect with Dan or Bruce and make sure you pull an empty and loaded sled under their supervision. If they are not available, Mike Fanelli, Jason Onaga or check with Kolina for support.
3) Engage, ask questions, be involved.
4) Get out of your comfort zone.
5) Leave the day with one thing that you learned.
6] Our hope is to help everyone involved to became a better and more knowledgeable Patroller.
TRAINING UPDATE FOR 2022
Our goal for next season is to take what we continue to learn from this season and develop an updated coordinated training package for candidates and Patrollers.
Our 10 point plan is aggressive and can only be accomplished by increasing our training team members.
1) Specific OEC and OET training criteria to be established.
2) Published Patroller schedule and agenda for training with some required dates.
3) Establish a specific day to update and refresh all current Team members that are instructing and/or participating in the program for 2022.
4) Conduct an Instructor class that support OEC and OET that was postponed due to COVID this year.
5) Create more interactive tools that can be used by phone.
6) Develop an easy monitoring system that captures Patroller participation in training
7) Create rewards and recognition as p[art of the program.
8) Update the Training Team members contact info and roles for 2022.
9) Create a training reference tool that can be updated on our site or access by phone.
10) Roll out the concept, package and establish expectations at the annual refresher in November.
I understand that this is quite an undertaking and we are dedicated to creating new momentum to ELEVATE our Patrollers at Northstar, small steps but a big footprint.
I encourage your participation.
Patrolling at times can be hard work and stressful, but should be something we enjoy doing and still find rewarding.
We are confident that with your help and engagement, we can make it happen.
NSP Training Director